Joshua Wurtzel joined the firm as an associate in 2017. Mr. Wurtzel’s practice focuses on complex commercial litigation, securities litigation, corporate governance disputes, and shareholder derivative actions. Mr. Wurtzel has successfully represented public and private companies and prominent individuals in both federal and state court. Through his ability to develop creative and novel arguments in, and solutions to, complex disputes, Mr. Wurtzel brings a unique and out-of-the-box perspective to his clients’ most pressing legal needs.
HIS RECENT REPRESENTATIONS INCLUDE:
- Won summary judgment, affirmed on appeal by the First Department, for a prominent real estate developer and holding company in action seeking equitable accounting and books and records access;
- Successfully defended current and former board members of a public real estate investment company in shareholder derivative actions in federal and state court;
- Defended a multinational, public insurance company in securities fraud opt-out actions arising out of the 2008 financial crisis.
- Won dismissal of a securities fraud action against a former executive of a public car rental company;
- Defended a public pharmaceutical company in a breach of contract action brought by holders of the company’s contingent value rights;
- Defended a prominent real estate developer in an action seeking dissolution of a family holding company and alleging breach of fiduciary duty;
- Obtained a favorable federal jury verdict, plus attorneys’ fees and costs, for a former inmate in a Section 1983 action against a state correctional officer and prison counselor;
- Won summary judgment, plus attorneys’ fees and costs, for a disabled student in a federal action against the New York City Department of Education seeking payment for private school tuition and meal reimbursement;
- Defend a prominent New York academic institution against claims of unlawful discrimination; and
- Represent a New York real-estate investor in an intra-family business break up.
Mr. Wurtzel received his B.A. from SUNY Binghamton in 2010, where he graduated summa cum laude. He received his J.D. from the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law in 2013, where he graduated first in his class and served as Business Manager of the Cardozo Law Review. Before joining the firm, Mr. Wurtzel practiced as an associate in the Securities Litigation and Corporate Governance group at Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP. Mr. Wurtzel also previously worked as an intern for the Honorable Kiyo A. Matsumoto of the Eastern District of New York.