The focus of this blog is the Commercial Division of the New York state courts. Still, many of our readers (and we) also practice in the federal courts. Here is an update on recent orders relating to operations in the SDNY and EDNY, the most significant of which is yesterday’s order significantly limiting operations in the SDNY.
March 30, 2020, Notice re: Courthouse Operations
THURGOOD MARSHALL COURTHOUSE CLOSED FOR ALL SDNY ACTIVITIES:
No SDNY staff will be on site at 40 Foley and no Southern District matters will be heard in the Marshall Courthouse with the exception of grand jury matters. For activity of the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, please see that court’s web site.
DANIEL PATRICK MOYNIHAN COURTHOUSE OPEN FOR EMERGENCY MATTERS
The Moynihan Courthouse at 500 Pearl Street/200 Worth Street will be become the locus of activity in the Southern District of New York. The courthouse will be open, but only to hear urgent criminal matters (arraignments/bail applications and reviews/pleas and sentences by special arrangement) and matters in which immediate relief is sought pursuant to Rule 65(b) of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure.
CHARLES L. BRIEANT COURTHOUSE IN WHITE PLAINS OPEN
The Brieant Courthouse will remain open.
EXTENSIONS OF TIME IN CIVIL CASES
Counsel are urged to check the web pages of individual judges, who have been instructed to post thereon any orders of general applicability extending time in civil matters, adjourning conferences, and the like. We are unable to docket these orders of general applicability in each individual open case. Checking the judge’s web page may save you the time and trouble of making application for an extension of time or an adjournment.
March 30, 2020
- Administrative Order 2020-13 Use of Videoconferencing or Telephone Conferencing in Criminal Matters pursuant to the CARES Act
March 27, 2020
- Administrative Order 2020-12 Service of Process by the United States Marshal is suspended in certain cases in light of the Coronavirus/COVID-19 Pandemic
March 18, 2020
- Administrative Order 2020-11 Supplemental Order Regarding Preliminary Hearings in Criminal Matters and Continuance of Jury Trials and Exclusion of Time Under The Speedy Trial Act
March 17, 2020
- Administrative Order 2020-08 addresses supplemental restrictions on entry to the Courthouses of the EDNY
- Administrative Order 2020-09 suspends the requirement for in-person appearances for Attorney Admissions to the Bar of the EDNY
- Administrative Order 2020-10 suspends Petty Offense proceedings under the exigent circumstances created by COVID-19