An experienced commercial litigator, Thomas Kissane prides himself on taking a calculated approach to the legal needs of his clients that range from major New York real estate developers to religious educational institutions to clients engaged in cryptocurrency transactions. He handles a broad spectrum of matters, including cases relating to corporate governance, securities, RICO, Internet disputes, civil rights, and high-end art sales.
His informed style of practice has led to substantial recoveries in highly nuanced cases. For instance, Tom was able to recover significant damages for a principal in a major financial information and advisory company who was denied equity participation by its founder. In another matter, Tom won a significant settlement of Title VII claims against an international distributor of medical devices.
“The idea is to get the case over with quickly, particularly on the defense side, with minimal intrusion and disruption to my client’s operations.”
- Represent client in breach of contract and conversion action involving multi-million-dollar cryptocurrency exchange and Bitcoin-mining equipment;
- Counsel to fundraising affiliate of leading gun rights organization in connection with investigations by the Attorneys General of New York and the District of Columbia;
- Counsel to State of Indiana in various proceedings to enforce area subpoenas for use in defense of abortion statute in Indiana federal court;
- Obtained pre-trial dismissal of securities claims, and successfully defended contract claims at trial, in dispute between pharmaceutical entrepreneurs and former business associate;
- Represented outside accountant in multi-year investigation by New York Attorney General’s Office into bankrupt non-for-profit corporation;
- Trial counsel to corporate defendant in seven-week federal mail fraud trial;
- As counsel to Brooklyn synagogue, obtained dismissal of two actions by members challenging decisions of management;
- Counsel to victims of police misconduct in Southern and Eastern Districts of New York;
- Pro se counsel to area professor objecting to discharge for exercise of academic freedom;
- Obtained muli-million dollar recovery for a principal in a major financial information and advisory company denied equity participation by its founder;
- Obtained dismissal of federal claims and related injunction against supporters of a prominent cookie maker, through the first published case establishing right under New York law of LLC members to bring derivative action. Weber v. King, 110 F. Supp. 2d 124 (E.D.N.Y. 2000);
- Numerous matters in State and Federal court on behalf of a major New York residential real estate developer in disputes concerning, inter alia, successful defense against alleged violations of the Interstate Land Sales Full Disclosure Act (Rai v. WB IMICO Lexington Fee, LLC, 719 Fed. Appx. 90, 719 Fed. Appx. 90 (2d Cir. 2018), 802 F.3d 353 (2d Cir. 2015), 2017 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 205271 (S.D.N.Y. June 28, 2017), 2017 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 49395 (Mar. 31, 2017)), and disputes with brokers, buyers and rival developers (Riverside S. Planning Corp. v. CRP/Extell Riverside, L.P., 13 N.Y.3d 398 (NY. 2009));
- Representation of largest Orthodox Jewish school system in New York State in numerous State and Federal court proceedings arising from community schism;
- Substantial settlement of Title VII claims by employee against an international distributor of medical devices;
- Numerous representations of a prominent New York auction house and its London affiliate in actions against purchasers of high-end art and collectibles;
- As appellate counsel, secured reversal of multi-million dollar award against New York area securities broker in connection with alleged sale of bank stock under the law of the Netherlands Antillies. Marlio v. McLaughlin, 288 A.D.2d 97 (1st Dep’t 2001).
- Selected to the New York Metro Super Lawyers® list for Business Litigation, 2010, 2013 - 2017, 2021 - 2022
- Selected to the New York Metro Super Lawyers® list for Real Estate, 2010, 2013 - 2017, 2021 - 2022
- Selected to the New York Metro Super Lawyers® list for Closely Held Business, 2010, 2013 - 2017, 2021 - 2022
“When working on a case, I take a measured position. I’ll only turn up the volume when absolutely necessary and in my client’s best interest.”