Sam has a broad practice in complex commercial litigation that includes business divorce cases; contract, fraud, and tort claims; trademark and copyright infringement matters; whistleblower claims; legal and accounting malpractice claims; and cooperative/condominium and commercial landlord/tenant disputes. Many of his clients are the owners of small businesses.
Sam guides clients through complicated, often emotional, matters with empathy and insight. He identifies the critical issues and develops strategy on that basis, with an eye to fostering the most effective resolutions. Sam protects his clients’ interests aggressively through all stages of litigation, whether cross-examining a witness or negotiating a settlement, while his even keel keeps the temperature down between counsel and parties to help promote productive solutions.
Before joining Schlam Stone, Sam was associated with Stroock Stroock & Lavan, focusing on complex commercial and securities litigation. At Stroock, he helped litigate a constitutional dispute that was successfully appealed to the United States Supreme Court. He clerked for the Hon. Charles P. Sifton in the Eastern District of New York.
Outside the office, Sam is a member of the Yale Crew Association Board and runs the Y150 Mentoring Program, which provides mentors to Yale undergraduate crew team members by matching them with alumni.
- A former officer and member of a holding company that operates a group of highly successful luxury automobile dealerships;
- Hong Kong-based investors against two former officers and directors, for looting a U.S.-based subsidiary, in which the investors received an over $2 million verdict in the New Jersey Chancery Court;
- An individual client in a long-running business divorce dispute with his brother over allocation of ownership in a real estate holding company that owns property worth $13.5 million.
- A Chilean partnership in an action for breach of a non-compete clause in the partnership agreement;
- A black car dispatch base in an arbitration alleging employment discrimination;
- A well-known real estate developer in a $400 million action for tortious interference;
- One of Mexico’s largest sugar companies and a banking and financial services corporation in an action in the Southern District of New York concerning attorneys’ fees and indemnification;
- A hedge fund in both the Southern District of New York and Southern District of New York Bankruptcy courts concerning unresolved claims arising out of the Lehman Brothers liquidation;
- Middle Eastern and European investors who were victimized by a global Ponzi scheme masquerading as a hedge fund;
- A government contractor in an action against its insurer in the Southern District of New York concerning claims and premium overpayments;
- A recruiting firm against its insurer and broker, in which the client obtained a successful settlement;
- Various black car bases concerning claims brought by franchisees;
- An individual seeking to recover on loans secured by mortgages on properties in Manhattan and Long Island, which resulted in a final judgment of foreclosure and sale.
- A condominium owner in an action concerning damages arising out of a severe water intrusion;
- A commercial tenant in Housing Court concerning disputes regarding rent abatements resulting from continuing multiple roof leaks and in Supreme Court for damages arising from those leaks;
- A commercial tenant in an action to recover real estate tax overcharges on an improperly withheld security deposit.
- An individual in a legal and accounting malpractice claim arising out of a divorce proceeding;
- Another individual with respect to claims of legal and accounting malpractice and excessive billing arising out of a divorce proceeding.
- Obtaining dismissal of several copyright and trademark infringement lawsuits brought in the Southern District of New York against Internet personality Perez Hilton;
- Defending a fulfillment center in various actions for alleged trademark infringement and counterfeiting.
- Selected to the New York Metro Super Lawyers® list, Business Litigation, 2022
“I envision the end result of a matter and determine the most creative and efficient road to that solution, including negotiation where possible. I strive to cut through the weeds and focus on what’s important to the client and the case.”