Channing has nearly a decade of experience litigating complex civil and commercial disputes in both state and federal court, as well as all major arbitration venues. He also maintains a significant practice in white collar criminal defense and financial regulatory compliance and investigations. He leverages his substantial experience to benefit clients in all phases of litigation or regulatory response, from pre-claim investigation through appeal, including crafting litigation strategies and budgets, drafting pleadings, managing discovery, taking and defending depositions, writing and arguing motions, and all aspects of trial and appellate practice. Channing also regularly obtains success for clients outside the courtroom by negotiating favorable settlements and guiding clients through the process of responding to inquiries from law enforcement and industry regulators. Best Lawyers named Channing in its 2021 “Ones to Watch” list of attorneys with outstanding professional experience. Since joining Schlam Stone & Dolan, Channing has spearheaded several high-stakes matters and taken on significant litigation roles, including serving as first-chair trial counsel in federal district court and participating in several arbitration hearings.
Before joining Schlam Stone & Dolan, LLP, Channing practiced at Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale & Dorr, LLP, where he successfully represented a broad range of national and international financial institutions and companies in federal and state courts and before industry regulators. Channing completed a federal judicial clerkship with the Hon. William B. Shubb in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California. Channing received his law degree from The University of Chicago, where he served as an editor of the Law Review. He simultaneously earned a B.A. and M.A., both summa cum laude, from Arizona State University.
- Successfully defended the founder of an innovative medical diagnostics company in a dispute with venture capital investors by obtaining dismissal of the litigation without financial compensation
- Favorably resolved construction dispute on behalf of an international clothing brand with the general contactor it hired to build its flagship U.S. retail store
- Represented investment firm with $5 billion in cumulative capital deployed in an arbitration hearing against a former joint-venture partner
- Represented a major, multinational insurance company in a reinsurance dispute and arbitration hearing before the AIDA Reinsurance and Insurance Arbitration Society
- Represented witnesses during investigations by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York and the New York State Attorney General
- Represented multinational investment fund and its majority shareholder in state court seeking more than $10 million in damages from former business partners and investors
- Represented and assisted individuals with filing whistleblower complaints with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
- Successful defense of a mutual-fund investment advisor in federal district court that resulted in pretrial voluntary dismissal of plaintiff’s claims without financial or other compensation;
- Representation of a national commercial bank in dismissing or favorably settling a series of federal-court actions brought by customers asserting claims under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, and Telephone Consumer Protection Act;
- Successful representation of a Fortune 100 commercial bank in AAA arbitration hearing against a customer asserting debt-collection-related claims that resulted in judgment for the bank without financial or other compensation;
- Representation of an international investment bank in litigating and settling a series of FINRA arbitration hearings against claimants asserting suitability, fraud, and breach of fiduciary duty claims;
- Representation of a Fortune 100 investment company in responding to regulatory requests from the U.S. Department of Justice, Securities and Exchange Commission, New York Office of the Attorney General, New York Department of Financial Services, and others;
- Representation of the broker-dealer division of a prominent financial technology and services company in responding to requests from the Securities and Exchange Commission;
- Representation of an international investment bank in connection with whistleblower complaints regarding alleged sharing of material nonpublic information and insider trading;
- Representation of a consumer healthcare manufacturer’s response to regulators in connection with inquiry into revenue recognition and other accounting practices.
- Selected to Best Lawyers® "Ones to Watch" list, 2021