Bennette Deacy Kramer
Bennette Deacy Kramer is an experienced litigator whose practice focuses on bankruptcy litigation, complex commercial disputes, and white-collar criminal investigations. She has represented numerous clients in federal district court, bankruptcy court, federal courts of appeal, and New York State courts in a wide variety of bankruptcy litigation matters, including appeals to the District Court and Court of Appeals, civil RICO, forfeiture, and restitution resulting from criminal convictions.
Bennette contributes to the Eastern District Roundup Column in the New York Law Journal. She is an active member of the Federal Bar Council of the Second Circuit, where she is a Chair and editor in chief of the Federal Bar Council Quarterly. She is also a board member and secretary of both the Eastern District Civil Litigation Fund and Nazareth Housing, Inc.
Before becoming associated with Schlam Stone in 1993, Bennette was associated with Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton.
- Represented client who has multiple claims and is subject to multiple claw-back actions in the Madoff SIPA proceedings, including preparation of claims, participation in claw-back adversary proceedings, successful withdrawal of the reference in the District Court, and appeal to the Second Circuit;
- Currently representing overseas clients in Madoff SIPA and related proceedings, including defending efforts to seek extraterritorial claw-backs and assisting with claims;
- Represented various parties in actions relating to determination of value of derivative transactions in the Lehman bankruptcy and SIPA proceedings;
- Represented creditor seeking an exception to discharge in the Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of New York;
- Represented claw-back defendant in Salander-O’Reilly Galleries, LLC bankruptcy case in the Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York;
- Represented claimant in Worldcom bankruptcy regarding determination of whether the claim was secured or unsecured in Southern District Bankruptcy Court and appeals to District Court and Second Circuit;
- Represented creditor in bankruptcy court proceedings brought fraudulently by debtor in Puerto Rico to avoid the client’s fraud judgment;
- Represented numerous creditors in preference actions in courts in New York, Delaware, Illinois, Tennessee, New Jersey, and Florida;
- Represented client subject to restitution order in negotiations with the government concerning payment;
- Represented client in a third-party claim for property subject to forfeiture.
- Federal Bar Council of the Second Circuit
- Editor in Chief of the Federal Bar Council Quarterly and Chair of Council
- Member and Secretary of Eastern District Civil Litigation Fund
- Member and Secretary of Nazareth Housing Inc.