Commercial Division Blog
Posted: February 3, 2014 / Categories Commercial, Appeals, Upcoming Events
Transcripts and Videos of Arguments in the Court of Appeals for the Weeks of January 6 and January 13 Now Available
Transcripts and videos of arguments in the Court of Appeals for the weeks of January 6 and January 13 are now available on the Court of Appeals website.
On January 9, 2014, we noted three cases of interest from the oral arguments for the week of January 6:
- Docket No. 2: Executive Plaza, LLC v. Peerless Insurance Company (addressing, on a certified question from the Second Circuit, whether a lawsuit under a fire insurance policy is barred by a policy provision that requires any lawsuit be brought within two years of the damage, when a contractual condition precedent to suit could not reasonably be accomplished within two years). The oral argument transcript and video for this case are not available due to “technical difficulties.”
- Docket No. 8: Biotronik A.G. v. Conor Medsystems Ireland, Ltd. (examining whether the relief sought in an exclusive distributor’s breach of contract claim against a manufacturer for lost profits from sales to third parties constitutes “consequential damages,” and therefore barred under the terms of the distribution agreement, or instead “general damages” given that the distributor’s resale to third parties “was the very purpose of the Agreement”). See the transcript and the video.
- Docket No. 11: Voss v. The Netherlands Insurance Company (To be argued Thursday, January 9, 2014) (considering whether the doctrine that an insurance policyholder is “charged with conclusive presumption of knowledge of the terms and limits” of the policy can be invoked to defeat a claim against an insurance broker for negligence in advising the insured as to the adequate amount of insurance). See the transcript and the video.
On January 14, 2014, we noted four cases of interest to Commercial Division practitioners from the oral arguments for the week of January 13:
- Docket No. 21: Country-Wide Insurance Company v. Preferred Trucking Services Corp. (concerning the timeliness of a liability carrier’s disclaimer of coverage based on the insured’s non-cooperation in the defense). See the transcript and the video.
- Docket No. 24: Melcher v. Greenberg Traurig, LLP (addressing when plaintiff’s claim for “attorney deceit” under Judiciary Law § 487 accrued and therefore whether the claim was timely under the applicable 3-year statute of limitations). Argument has been rescheduled to February 14, 2014.
- Docket No. 25: QBE Insurance Corporation v. Jinx-Proof Inc. (concerning whether an insurance carrier’s reservation of rights letters served “as effective written notices of disclaimer” under New York law). See the transcript and the video.
- Docket No. 27: Landauer Limited v. Joe Monani Fish Co. (addressing whether an English default judgment is enforceable in New York, despite technical deficiencies in service under CPLR 311, where the parties’ contract provided that any disputes would be litigated in English courts and the defendant had actual notice of the English action before the default judgment was entered). See the transcript and the video.