Seth’s practice focuses on commercial and civil litigation matters for both plaintiffs and defendants from small partnership disputes to large, complex lawsuits for multinational entities. A noted appellate lawyer, Seth also represents clients before the Appellate Division.
Well-versed in all aspects of civil and commercial litigation, Seth takes a comprehensive approach to dispute resolution, handling all aspects of litigation from pleadings, complex discovery issues including large-scale electronic discovery, and negotiating settlements to prepping clients and witnesses for trial, jury selection, the trial process, and the filing of appeals as needed.
“Whether conducting a trial via Zoom or in the court room itself, I approach the matter based on the quiet confidence that comes from being better prepared than opposing counsel. At the same time, I find that we achieve the best client result by forging a healthy working relationship with opposing counsel – particularly if the parties themselves are highly combative.”
He also represents clients in white-collar regulatory matters as well as targets and witnesses involved in government investigations.
Seth currently serves as the Secretary of the Litigation Committee of the New York City Bar Association.
Commercial and Civil
- Navigating pharmacies and pharmacy owners through a business divorce dispute with former partners;
- Winning bench trial and appeal of order granting motion to compel arbitration in Florida State court for Danish manufacturer in breach of contract and warranty litigation;
- Defending biotechnology company against claims of misappropriation of trade secrets and conspiracy to commit fraud;
- Representing a Brooklyn nonprofit asserting breach of contract claims and fraud arising out of sale of nursing home;
- Representing Brazilian entities and individuals in claims for breach of contract, tortious interference and conversion against major US and Brazilian banks arising from an airport leasing dispute;
- Advocating for an individual who alleged breach of oral contract regarding the investment in a craft whiskey company;
- Defending national healthcare company against breach of contract claim arising out of purchase of software systems;
- Representing foreign and domestic financial institutions asserting breach of contract claims and fraud related to the purchase of residential-mortgage-backed securities.
- Successfully appealed a denial of motion to strike jury demand in an action asserting both equitable and legal claims in a single action (176 A.D.3d 459), and successfully defended an appeal relating to the withholding of documents shared during merger discussion on the basis of the common interest privilege (169 A.D.3d 517);
- Secured requests for emergency relief from Appellate Division, First Department as well as motions for stay pending appeal and motions for leave to reargue or leave to appeal to New York Court of Appeals.
Regulatory and White-Collar Litigation
- Representing multiple healthcare companies regarding investigations by New York and New Jersey Attorneys General;
- Representing witnesses and/or targets of investigations by New York District Attorney;
- Representing a mortgage servicing subsidiary of a public company in an investigation by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and the Department of Justice into potential violations of the False Claims Act;
- Representing a publicly traded company and three of its executives in an investigation by the Securities and Exchange Commission into alleged insider trading.
Moderator and Program Coordinator, Litigation Issues for Small Law Firms and Solos in the COVID-19 World, New York City Bar Association Webinar, June 2020.
Moderator and Program Coordinator, The “How To” of Successful Motion Practice: Practical Advice and Tips, New York City Bar Association Webinar and CLE Program, June 2021.
- Selected to the New York Metro Super Lawyers® "Rising Stars" list, Business Litigation, 2021
- Secretary of the Litigation Committee of the New York City Bar Association
“Understanding the problem – from both a legal and human perspective – allows me to explain to the court my client’s business, as well as the main issue at the heart of the dispute and demonstrate the true ‘human cost’ of the outcome.”