Vera Kachnowski joined the firm of counsel in 2018. Ms. Kachnowski’s practice focuses on white-collar criminal and regulatory enforcement actions, internal investigations, and complex civil litigation. Her clients have included senior executives and employees of prominent public companies, multinational banks, and financial services institutions, as well as small business owners. She has represented clients in investigations and proceedings brought by various government agencies, including the Department of Justice, Securities and Exchange Commission, Commodities Futures Trading Commission, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Internal Revenue Service, and U.S. Attorneys’ Offices. Ms. Kachnowski writes a quarterly column in the New York Law Journal on International Criminal Law and Enforcement.
HER REPRESENTATIONS HAVE INCLUDED:
- Global Treasurer of prominent broker-dealer/FCM in complex, multi-year class action in the Southern District of New York, and in parallel SEC/CFTC/DOJ investigations;
- European CFO of Fortune Global 500 Company in FCPA investigation by SEC and DOJ;
- Singaporean and Swiss entities and French principals in Consumer Financial Protection Bureau/DOJ mail fraud action in the Eastern District of New York;
- Senior head of trading, spot and forwards traders, and salesperson from two multinational banks in internal and DOJ investigations into potential foreign exchange market manipulation and antitrust violations;
- President of hedge fund in DOJ securities and investment advisors fraud action;
- Senior bank executive in internal investigation and Office of the Comptroller of the Currency review of Bank Secrecy Act/anti-money laundering and Know Your Customer compliance for foreign correspondent banking;
- Research analyst from multinational bank in SEC insider trading action in the Southern District of New York;
- Senior bank executive named in Italian proceeding related to collapse and bankruptcy of multinational Italian corporation;
- Art dealer in commercial dispute tried before a jury in the Southern District of New York;
- Private equity fund in suit commenced by shareholders of subsidiary corporation.
Ms. Kachnowski received her B.A., summa cum laude, from Boston University in 2001, and her J.D., magna cum laude, from the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law in 2008. Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Kachnowski clerked for the Honorable Frank Maas in the Southern District of New York, and worked for the boutique litigation firm of De Feis O’Connell & Rose. She is a former member of the NYC Bar Association’s Foreign and Comparative Law Committee, where she served on its Working Group on Global Regulation of Financial Markets. Ms. Kachnowski is fluent in French.