Thomas A. Kissane joined the firm in 1992 and became a partner in 1995. His practice focuses on complex commercial litigation, and also has represented clients in connection with corporate governance, securities, RICO, Internet and real estate litigation and appeals.
HIS REPRESENTATIONS HAVE INCLUDED:
- Obtaining substantial recovery for a principal in a major financial information and advisory company denied equity participation by its founder.
- Obtaining dismissal of federal claims and related injunction against supporters of a prominent distributor of baked goods, through the first published case under New York law establishing right of LLC members to bring derivative action.
- Numerous matters in State and Federal court on behalf of a major New York residential real estate developer in disputes concerning, inter alia, successful defense against alleged violations of the Interstate Land Sales Full Disclosure Act and disputes with brokers, buyers and rival developers.
- General counsel to a New York City based religious educational institution, including successful representations in State and Federal courts regarding internal disputes in the wake of a community schism.
- Substantial settlement of Title VII claims against an international distributor of medical devices.
- Securing dismissal of Federal Civil Rights claims asserted by employees of a major municipality in Westchester County, New York.
- Numerous representations of a prominent New York auction house and its London affiliate in actions against purchasers of high-end art and collectibles.
- As appellate counsel, secured reversal of multi-million dollar award against New York area securities broker in connection with alleged sale of bank stock under the law of the Netherlands Antillies.
Mr. Kissane has been designated a Super Lawyer for the New York Metro Area for the years 2010, 2013 and 2014 in the area of business litigation.
Mr. Kissane received his B.A. from Columbia University in 1984, and his J.D. from Fordham University School of Law, where he was a member of the Law Review, in 1987. Between 1987 and 1988 Mr. Kissane served as law clerk to the Honorable Charles L. Brieant, Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, and practiced with Cahill Gordon & Reindel in New York City from 1988 until joining the firm in July 1992.