Joan G. Wexler joined the firm as Of Counsel in 2016. She was President of Brooklyn Law School from 1994 to 2013, and Dean of the Law School from 1994 to 2010. Before becoming Dean, she was Brooklyn Law School’s Associate Dean for Academic Affairs as well as a Professor of Law. She previously served as a law clerk for Hon. Jack B. Weinstein, practiced law at Debevoise & Plimpton LLP, and taught at New York University Law School.
Her practice focuses on litigation, corporate governance, and transactions.
Dean Wexler is a nationally prominent member of the legal community, and she has held a wide variety of positions, including:
- President of the Federal Bar Council from 2004 to 2006, as well as its Vice President from 2001 to 2004. She currently sits on the Council’s Executive Committee, Nominating Committee, Awards Committee, and Personnel Committee;
- President of the Federal Bar Foundation from 1998 to 1999;
- Vice President of the New York City Bar Association , and Chair of its Committee on Honors;
- Two terms as Vice President of the Women’s Bar Association, also sitting on its Board of Directors;
- Current Member of the United States Magistrate Judge Selection Committee for the Eastern District of New York;
- Member of the American Bar Association’s Independent Law Schools Forum Committee, its Continuing Legal Education Committee, its New Deans’ Seminar Planning Committee, and its Data and Policy Committee;
- Life Member of the American Law Institute
- Fellow of the American Bar Foundation and of the New York Bar Foundation;
- Member of the New York State Bar Association’s Committee on Legal Education and Admission to the Bar;
- Member of the Boards of Directors of the Practicing Law Institute, the Downtown Brooklyn Partnership, the American Judicature Society, the American Law Deans Association, the Children’s Law Center, and the Fund for Modern Courts;
- Member of the Judicial Conference of the State of New York, and of the Planning and Program Committee of the Judicial Conference of the Second Circuit.
- Member of the Yale Law Journal Advisory Board.
Dean Wexler has received many honors for her leadership in the legal community and her commitment to advancing the interests of adolescents and their families, including:
- Honorary Doctor of Laws from St. Francis College;
- President’s Special Award and the Special Recognition Award from the New York Women’s Bar Association;
- American Women in Business Award for Lifetime Achievement;
- Outstanding Women of the Bar Honoree from the New York County Lawyers’ Association;
- Special Award from the National Association of Women Judges;
- Good Scout Award from the Greater Boy Scouts’ Council of New York;
- William Schoenfeld Award from the Society of Adolescent Psychiatry;
- President’s Award from the New York State Court Officers’ Association.
Dean Wexler is a member of the Cornell University Council. She is a member emerita of the President’s Council of Cornell Women and a member of the Dean’s Council for the College of Human Ecology. She also serves on the Board of Directors of the Kappa Kappa Gamma of Cornell Foundation.
Dean Wexler received a B.S. from Cornell University in 1968, a Master of Arts in Teaching from Harvard University in 1970, and a J.D. from Yale Law School in 1974, where she was Articles Editor of the Yale Law Journal.