Niall D. O'Murchadha
His representations have included:
- Civil Litigation
- the New York State Banking Department in a dispute with the former Republic of Yugoslavia over the state's regulatory authority to liquidate New York agencies of insolvent Yugoslavian banks;
- Japanese drug manufacturer Eisai in a patent infringement action to protect Eisai's patent on the drug rabeprazole (marketed in the U.S. as AcipHex®, which had U.S. sales of around $1 billion per year) against generic manufacturers;
- both plaintiffs and defendants in employment discrimination disputes and litigations, as well as in investigations by city and state agencies;
- a ground transportation company in litigation against a former franchisee to enforce a non-compete agreement;
- a Mexican boxer and boxing promoter in a Court of Arbitration for Sport arbitration against the World Boxing Council for failure to carry out anti-doping testing after a championship bout;
- a commercial tenant in a Yellowstone action against its landlord, which wanted to cancel its lease as part of a plan to raze the building and replace it with a new skyscraper;
- a delivery company in litigation with the State Insurance Fund over whether its drivers were employees or independent contractors;
- White Collar Criminal Defense
- a large upstate medical practice in a two-year US Attorney's Office investigation of health-care fraud perpetrated by a former shareholder;
- BP in a DOJ and CFTC investigation into manipulation of the propane futures market;
- Riggs Bank in a Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations inquiry into money laundering and USA PATRIOT Act violations;
- beverage distributor Diageo in an industry-wide investigation by the NYS Attorney General's Office into spirits and wine distribution practices;
- two individuals whose company had managed a residential real estate portfolio facing criminal contempt charges brought by HPD; and
- individual witnesses in a number of regulatory and criminal investigations.
Mr. O'Murchadha joined Schlam Stone & Dolan in 2008. He received his A.B. from Princeton University in 1998 and his J.D. magna cum laude from Fordham Law School in 2003, where he was a member of the Law Review and won the Fordham Law School Prize. Before joining Schlam Stone & Dolan, Mr. O'Murchadha practiced with Sullivan & Cromwell LLP, focusing on complex commercial litigation including corporate, insurance, patent, and constitutional law disputes and appeals. Before going to law school, Mr. O'Murchadha worked for the American Arbitration Association.
Mr. O'Murchadha is a member of the New York bar as well as the Bars of the United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York and the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.