Samuel L. Butt joined the firm in 2008 and became Of Counsel in 2016. Mr. Butt’s areas of practice include complex commercial litigation and securities litigation.
HIS COMMERCIAL REPRESENTATIONS HAVE INCLUDED:
- One of Mexico’s largest sugar companies and a banking and financial services corporation in an action in the Southern District of New York concerning attorneys’ fees and indemnification;
- A hedge fund in both the Southern District of New York and Southern District of New York Bankruptcy courts concerning unresolved claims arising out of the Lehman Brothers liquidation;
- Hong Kong-based investors against two former officers and directors, for looting a U.S.-based subsidiary, in which the investors received an over $2 million verdict in the New Jersey Chancery Court;
- An individual client in a long-running business divorce dispute with his younger brother over allocation of ownership in a real estate holding company that owns property worth $13.5 million;
- Middle Eastern and European investors who were victimized by a global Ponzi scheme masquerading as a hedge fund;
- A government contractor in an action against its insurer in the Southern District of New York concerning claims and premium overpayments;
- A recruiting firm against its insurer and broker, in which the client obtained a successful settlement;
- A black car operator concerning claims brought by its licensees.
- An individual seeking to recover on loans secured by mortgages on properties in Manhattan and Long Island.
HIS REAL ESTATE AND LANDLORD/TENANT REPRESENTATIONS HAVE INCLUDED:
- Representing a commercial tenant in Housing Court concerning disputes regarding rent abatements resulting from continuing multiple roof leaks and in Supreme Court for damages arising from those leaks.
HIS ENTERTAINMENT, COPYRIGHT & TRADEMARK REPRESENTATIONS HAVE INCLUDED:
- Obtaining dismissal of several copyright and trademark infringement lawsuits brought in the Southern District of New York against Internet personality Perez Hilton.
HIS SECURITIES REPRESENTATIONS HAVE INCLUDED:
- A retail customer in a FINRA arbitration against a large financial institution, in which the customer received a significant award.
Mr. Butt received his B.A. from Yale University in 2001 and his J.D. from Columbia Law School, where he was both a James Kent and Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar, in 2005. Before becoming associated with the Firm, Mr. Butt clerked for the Honorable Charles P. Sifton of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York. From 2005 through 2007, he was associated with Stroock&Stroock&Lavan LLP, where he focused on complex commercial and securities litigation. He was also involved in a constitutional law dispute that was successfully appealed to the United States Supreme Court.